If someone in 2001 told you that you would be verbally speaking to computers using voice search in 2020 as they spoke back to you, would you have believed them?
Probably not, or perhaps you would have been skeptical. The fact is the emergence of conversational AI systems such as Google Assistant, Alexa, and Siri, as well as other smart speaker devices like Google Home and Amazon Echo, have revolutionized the way we search.
Looking forward from voice search in 2020 as technology continues to advance, we know these systems will only get better. As a company, you should probably begin optimizing for this trend as part of your digital marketing strategy. But to do so, it’s vital to first understand emerging trends in voice search statistics. Here are some statistics of voice search in 2020 that will outline everything you need to know:
- 20% of all search queries on Google are voice search queries. While these numbers were released in 2016, it’s safe to assume that voice search queries have only increased.
- One-quarter of U.S. adults are smart speaker owners
- Ownership of these devices varies by demographic. Younger adults, those aged below 50, are more likely to be smart speaker owners than those 50 and older.
- According to Google, 72% of smart speaker owners claim that they use these devices as part of their daily routine.
- Voice search queries are three times more likely to be local-based.
- Voice commerce sales peaked at $1.8 billion in 2017 and are expected to reach $40 billion by 2022. The global smart speaker market is expected to reach 28 billion by 2022, a significant rise from the 11.8 billion seen in 2018.
- The number of people using digital voice assistants at least once in the U.S. is expected to reach 132 million by 2021.
Given the above statistics of voice search in 2020, it’s evident that companies can no longer afford to ignore it. Fortunately, with the help of a team of certified digital strategists here at OCGnow, you can easily tweak your existing SEO strategy to conquer the voice search niche.